Interstitial Cystitis Treatment (IC)
Stop Suffering From Bladder Pain and Discomfort
Interstitial cystitis is used to describe the condition of bladder pain or discomfort with a frequent and often urgent need to pass urine. Inflammation within the bladder may cause irritation and bladder wall stiffening.
Potomac Urology specializes in treating symptoms of bladder pain and discomfort in Northeast Virginia. Learn more about the causes and treatment options available. You can also book your appointment online or call us today!
What are the Symptoms of interstitial cystitis?
- An urgent need to urinate in the daytime and nighttime
- A frequent need to urinate
- Pressure, pain, and tenderness around the bladder, pelvis, and perineum
- Small capacity bladder
- Pain during sexual intercourse
Causes of Interstitial Cystitis
It is currently unknown, however theories include:
- Defect in bladder wall lining
- Increase in histamine production and nerve cells within the bladder wall
- Autoimmune response
How is Interstitial Cystitis Treated?
- Non-surgical therapy
- Diet: avoid spicy foods and alcohol
- Medication: Pentosan polysulfate protects the bladder wall lining
- Smoking Cessation
- Bladder Training: timed bladder voiding
- Physical therapy/biofeedback: strengthen and relax pelvic floor muscles
- Bladder instillation: office procedure to fill bladder with anesthetic
- Relaxation therapy: stress reduction
- Surgical Therapy
(1) Bladder distension – stretch the bladder wall under anesthesia