What is Aquablation?
Aquablation of the prostate is a minimally invasive water ablation therapy combining image guidance and robotics (AquaBeam®) for the targeted and heat-free removal of prostatic tissue in men suffering from benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). The AquaBeam utilizes proprietary heat-free high-velocity waterjet technology to resect and remove prostatic tissue.
How is the Aquablation performed?
- In addition to a traditional cystoscopic camera, Aquablation therapy includes intraoperative ultrasound. Together, they provide the surgeon with a multi-dimensional view of the treatment area, enabling improved decision-making and treatment planning.
- The surgeon maps the exact treatment contour, and then monitors with confidence as the robot autonomously executes the treatment plan, guiding the precisely calibrated waterjet with speed and accuracy.
- Harnessing the unique power of water and pulsating near the speed of sound, Aquablation therapy removes prostatic tissue with a heat-free waterjet, eliminating the possibility of complications arising from thermal injury.
What are the advantages of Aquablation?
- Aquablation has the advantage of providing surgical outcomes with a lower risk of retrograde ejaculation and incontinence
- Short resection time of less than 10 minutes
- Its heat-free status is considered the fundamental reason for a reduction in irritative urinary symptoms, which can be associated with alternative BPH surgeries
What are the disadvantages of Aquablation?
- As it is a new treatment option, there is a lack of long-term evidence and may not be covered by certain health insurance companies
Schedule an Appointment
If you think you would benefit from Aquablation treatment at Potomac Urology, request an appointment online or call our office today at (703) 680-2111.