Hematuria Treatment in Woodbridge, VA
The board-certified urologists at Potomac Urology specialize in the treatment and diagnosis of hematuria. If you’re experiencing symptoms of hematuria, contact us today to schedule an appointment in Alexandria or Woodbridge. Give our office a call at (703) 680-2111 or request an appointment through our secure online form.
What Does it Mean if There is Blood in My Urine?
Blood in the urine that you do not see is called “microscopic hematuria.” This blood is only visible under a microscope. Blood in the urine you can see is called “gross hematuria.”
Potomac Urology specializes in diagnosing and treating causes of Hematuria in Alexandria and Woodbridge, Virginia. Learn more about hematuria and schedule your appointment with Potomac Urology today!
What are the Causes of Hematuria?
- Urinary Infection
- Enlarged Prostate
- Kidney or Bladder Stones
- Period in Women
- Prostate Infection
- Kidney Disease
- Kidney Trauma
- Bladder Cancer
- Kidney Cancer
- Blood Thinning Drugs (aspirin, coumadin/warfarin)
- Anti-Swelling Drugs (joint swelling and pain pills)
- Tough Workout
Issues that Increase the Chance of Cancer
- Age over 35 years
- Prior visible “gross” blood in the urine
- Cigarette smoking (past or current)
- Chemicals in the workplace
- Prior pelvic radiation for cancer
- Prior urological disorder or disease
- Irritative voiding symptoms (pain, infection)
- Chronic urinary tract infection
How is Hematuria Evaluated?
Repeat Urine Testing
The next step when blood is found is to repeat your urine test. This checks that the first finding was correct.
If Repeat Testing Shows Blood
If a repeat urine test still shows blood and no protein is found, the next steps would involve:
- Urine culture
- Urine cytology
- Blood test for kidney function
- Cystoscopy (looking inside the bladder)
- Imaging test such as CT scan, MRI or ultrasound to look at the kidney, ureters and bladder.
Schedule Your Hematuria Consultation at Potomac Urology
If you have questions regarding hematuria treatment options, please contact Potomac Urology at our office in Alexandria or Woodbridge, VA at (703) 680-2111.